Friday, February 22, 2008

Relief Society's 166th Birthday Party on Chap Goh Mei

Thursday, 21 February 2008

I was looking forward to Relief Society Birthday celebration this year because this was my first experience in Yuma and US. Relief Society will be 166 years old on the 17 March 2008 and I am proud to be a member of it!



Every party is unique. I thought the purple invitation card was cute. We had fun playing games. And instead of cutting a big birthday cake, we received a birthday cake each in the form of a cupcake and a candle!

For me, tonight party compensated my traditional Chap Goh Mei celebration.

Chap Goh Mei means the 15th night in the Hokkien dialect. It is the 15th day of the Chinese New Year (which started on the 7 February 2008 - the year of the Earth Rat) and marks the end of the 15 days festival. Families would have dinner together, like they did on Chinese New Year's eve. In some places there would be cultural performances, lanterns procession, lion dances, etc.

Chap Goh Mei is also the Chinese Valentine's Day!

No comments: