Sunday, November 4, 2007

Oatman Arizona

Sunday, 4 November 2007

In July Mike's mother told us to visit Oatman and see the donkeys. And that was what we did today.

I think the desert, the mountains and the blue sky, along the 20+ miles road from Needles to Oatman, are an interesting sight in their way.




I was told there were over a hundred donkeys living in the mountains. What I saw today were less than 10. They would disappear to their habitat at night. The donkeys come to the town to look for food - they know people would hand out carrots to them. Sliced Carrots were sold at $1 per packet. Luckily Mike was able get a quick shot like this. The donkeys were always on the move!



Initially I was afraid because I thought they might kick me (like I saw in the movies) but interestingly these wild donkey were not afraid of people. It must be the carrots they get. One have to be careful when walking in the street. There were a lot of dried donkey's poo and there were also freshly excreted poo. I saw them!. I stepped on cow's dung when I was less than 6 years old. Yak!



Messages written, near the packed of sliced carrots, at the shops, said not to feed the baby donkeys. I was told that the baby donkeys feed on their mother's milk. Here is a baby donkey following its mother.



I think this is the only street in the town and both sides are souvenir shops.




It is an interesting historical place with the mountains all around it.



There were 2 cowboys live shows on the street. We saw the morning show. There were 4 of them and these are 2 of them outside their business outlet "Outlaw Willie's"

1 comment:

Iain Cameron said...

Route 66! I dream of driving along that road one day. I used to sing the song "Route 66" when I was a young man. It was the Rolling Stones version I liked best. Perhaps one day I will drive it.

Lyrics:
Well if you ever plan to motor west, Just take my way that's the highway that's the best, Get your kicks on Route 66. Well it winds from Chicago to L.A. More than 2000miles all the way, Get your kicks on Route 66.